The company Aermacchi was created in 1913 by Giulio Macchi under the name Società Anonima Nieuport-Macchi, it was specialized in aviation and played an important role in the Italian aviation history. In addition to design seaplanes, fighter jets and military training planes, the company took an interest to motorcycles between the 50s and the 70s. In April 1960, Aermacchi went under Harley Davidson control and the factory moved a few kilometers to Schiranna close to Varese. The brand name became Aermacchi Harley-Davidson, then AMF Harley-Davidson until 1978 when the factory was sold to Castiglioni brothers who developed their own brand: Cagiva.
Our wonderful Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 250 was born around 1966 as an Ala Verde and modified to Ala d’Oro Racing specifications. Its air-cooled mono-cylinder engine develops 30 horsepower at 9500 rpm for a top speed above 200 km/h. As a competition bike it is not road-registered, it comes from an Italian collector. Nicely conserved and in perfect condition, this unit is an exceptional piece of history for vintage races.